Monday, January 21, 2013

Review - Flax Z Snax Granola

Since I've ditched grain and milk, I've been craving nice, cold, sweet bowl of breakfast. 
Eggs and some thick cut bacon topped with avocado and cheese is fun for the novelty factor and feeling like I'm eating like a Game of Thrones character. But even that can start to feel greasy and dull after a few months.
So I picked up a few grain-free granolas at the Viva Low Carb Superstore

Here's the first!
Flax Z Snax Granola!

Wow, I feel like a winner right of the bat. I tried to make paleo granola at home before, but just ended up with a bunch of sticky nuts. And I don't much like nuts. But I do love flax.
The Flax Z Snax bakers manage to get the flax meal into sweet crunchy bites, not mushy or grainy at all.  I tried the cherry macadamia and it was just what I wanted. Some granolas are super almond or walnut heavy. But this one is truly flax-centric. The dried cranberries were big and tart, and biting in to an occasional macadamia was a fun treat.

See, I ate it.

Nutrition wise, it's got good stats. We're looking at 1g net carb (19 non-net), 12g healthy flax and nut fats, and 7g protein, and 11g fiber. It is sweetened with splenda and malitol, so it's up to you if you're into fake sweeteners  I like them. The serving size is 1/2 cup for 182 calories. I put that in my bowl and it looked wimpy. So I added another 1/4 cup. Then it did not look as wimpy. But it was more than I needed. Now I'm super stuffed and know I will be for awhile. 

However, this new flavor of SO delicious coconut milk is not for me. I usually get the Sugar-Free Vanilla flavor. This unsweetened original flavor has little flavor at all. Very watery. I added some splenda so make it palatable. I'll review more coconut milks soon!

Pro's: 
Flax-centric
Good flavors
Low Carb
Very Filling

Con's: 
Not Perfect Paleo (has some bran and soy ingredients)
$7 to $8 a bag
Sweetened with Malitol and Sucralose

Verdict- This stuff is gonna become a staple in my cupboard. Glad I bought 2 bags. Get yourself some from http://www.flaxzsnax.com

Full but feelin' healfy,
-Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment